A Boy or a Man?

What is the difference in a boy and a man?  Do you care, have you thought about it?  Why is it important?  I believe that boys are impatient and selfish.  They want what they want now and don't have the patience to wait for anything.  A man is patient and selfless.  They would wait forever for something worthwhile and want only what is best for the people around them.  I would like to take this moment to recognize two men in my life who have proven again and again what it takes to honor God with their actions despite their own desires.

The first is my husband.  He has respected me and loved me since the beginning of our relationship.  He honored my desired to not kiss anyone till my wedding day, he also wanted to be able to take care of me.  Sure, I had a job and took care of myself for the most part, but he knew that in order to be the husband he, and God would want him to be he needed to wait for God's timing.  He most importantly wanted more than just a job, he wanted a career along with the salary and benefits that would help in supporting a family.  Let's face it, if you get married you are now a family and the very real aspect of children could happen at any moment.  So we shouldn't be rushing into such a serious thing without using the brain God gave us to plan for the future a little.  So even though Joshua had a decent job he waited to pursue me until God brought along the right job.  When Joshua asked my Dad for permission to marry me, his only response was "What took you so long?"  I am proud to say it was because he was looking out for me and only wanted to pursue me if he knew God had provided a way to take care of me and us.  Joshua is also constantly challenging me in my relationship with God.  I never hear him say anything bad about anyone.  He serves every week at church without complaint and with little to no help.  If someone else gets credit for something he has done it's not a big deal.  He doesn't care what anyone thinks of him, he only cares that his actions, honor and reflect God's love.  He always has an interesting perspective on everything and it gives me a different way of looking at things.  He is my number one fan and encourages me to become better everyday.  I love this man and respect his desire to honor God with our marriage and life!

The second man is my brother.  A lot of people ask why he isn't dating anyone.  I never had an answer.  I know he likes girls and would like to get married so what is the deal?  He, like Joshua has waited patiently for the right girl.  Praying diligently, and always striving to honor God in everything.  Daniel hasn't pursued anyone because he isn't in a place where he would be able to financially support a wife.  This blows my mind for many reasons.  Joshua pursued me to a point but just wouldn't ask me to marry him until the right time.  How does a guy like my brother go through life and not have a girlfriend even?  Guys like him are few and far between, like they don't really exist anymore.  It's quite sad really.  I find it refreshing that not only is he a man of God, but he is also respecting the girls in his life by waiting to pursue them once God provides a way to support a wife.  Daniel also gives of his time, to pretty much everyone.  He refuses to gossip and always has something positive to say to old friends.  He is consistent in his beliefs and speaks truth in love.  His love of Godly music is fantastic and his joy in general is contagious to many people.  He is one of a kind and whoever his future wife is, she is one lucky girl!

Thank you guys for living your life in a pursuit to honor God and not yourself!  I love you both!

Comments

Unknown said…
I love, love , loved this!!!! it made me cry....but in a good way.... :o)
Unknown said…
This is an amazing testimony. Thank you SO much for sharing it. You are so very blessed to have such special men in your life. Others could learn a ton from their faith and strength of character. I'm sure it was/is not easy for them to do the things they have done but the world is a better place because they have been strong.
They would be great mentors for other boys that want to grow up to be men.
Melissa Swain
Daniel said…
Wow, I am pretty humbled and blown away by your words. It really means a lot to me that you wrote this, and I was included in it; especially alongside Josh, as I really respect him and look up to him in a lot of ways. Your marriage is an inspiration to me.

To clarify just a bit though...While finances have played a part, it definitely hasn't been the only factor. I've been waiting for greater maturity in a lot of areas: financial, emotional, mental, spiritual, and relational. I've striven to not lead any girls on, or develop any desires or feelings in them for a relationship that I couldn't rightfully fulfill.

Although, since I've graduated, I think I've begun to reach maturity in a lot of those areas, especially financial, for obvious reasons...I'll never be done growing, so I'm in that awkward phase of figuring out if I am in the place where God has called me to be, and if so, where do I go from there.

But anyway, you're an awesome sister, I'm so proud of you! I've seen you grow so much, and it thrills me. I love you very much!

Popular Posts